[slime-devel] Question about decoupling load-server and start-server in slime-init-command

Juan M. Bello Rivas jmbr at superadditive.com
Fri Nov 16 14:41:30 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have a slow system where launching slime (current CVS version) takes
several seconds.  Wishing to cut down the initialization time, I
dumped a sbcl core with swank preloaded but slime didn't start faster
because swank was being reloaded.  To avoid this, I modified
slime-init-command and now slime starts lightning fast.

There's a comment before slime-init-command saying:

;; XXX load-server & start-server used to be separated. maybe that was  better.

Why were the two functionalities merged?  I definitely think it was
better.  Perhaps I missed an obvious way to achieve the same goal?

Thanks,

--
Juan M. Bello Rivas                           http://superadditive.com