[slime-devel] Re: pam autheticator

Mac Chan emailmac at gmail.com
Mon May 14 19:07:45 UTC 2007

Petr Šimon <sim <at> klubko.net> writes:

> On Monday 14 May 2007 05:00:42 Marco Baringer wrote:
> > Petr Šimon <sim <at> klubko.net> writes:
> > > Hello,
> > > I've tried to check out slime from cvs, but it fails with:
> > > Logging in to
> > > :pserver:anonymous <at> common-lisp.net:2401/project/slime/cvsroot CVS
> > > password:
> > > PAM start error: Critical error - immediate abort
> > > Fatal error, aborting.
> > > cvs [login aborted]: unrecognized auth response from common-lisp.net: pam
> > > failed to release authenticator
> >
> > did you input the right password? (anonymous)
>
> Ah sorry :) (hiding)
> Petr

Don't be ashamed. I think this has bitten a lot of people in the past (yeah I'm
one of them). For me the word `anonymous' is really difficult to type, and in
the password prompt with echo disable I often type it wrong (I'm a really bad
touch typist).

It would be great if you guys can replace the CVS checkout instruction in the
slime homepage with this one-liner

cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anonymous:anonymous at common-lisp.net:/project/slime/cvsroot
checkout slime

This way people can just copy with the mouse and paste it into the terminal.

$0.02
-- Mac