[slime-devel] What's the difference between compile and load?

Gary King gwking at metabang.com
Thu Mar 1 13:08:27 UTC 2007

Hi and welcome,

On Mar 1, 2007, at 5:03 AM, E'Chao Zhang wrote:

> It makes me quite confused about the concept of compilation and
> inside the file accessible in the REPL?

No, it doesn't. The whole subject gets quite technical but compiling
and loading are separate steps. The tricky thing is that both can
happen in the same Lisp environment and the compiler may need to make
some things active during the compilation process (e.g., macro
definitions, constants, etc).

> Or do I have to load the file?

Yes, you will.

> If compilation is enough, then what's the loading for? If load is
> mandatory, then why does compiling the defun makes the function
> accessible?

If you're in the REPL and you "compile" a defun (or any s-expr), then
you're really _evaluating_ it. Depending on the Lisp, this may
produce a interpreted version of your defun or a compiled version
(many Lisps nowawdays always compile and have no interpreter). This
ends up being equivalent to compiling and loading but it, as I said,
really evaluating...

HTH,
--
Gary Warren King, metabang.com