[slime-devel] giving reasons for RPC aborts

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Fri Jun 29 11:54:31 UTC 2007

* Taylor R Campbell [2007-06-29 00:40+0200] writes:

> Is there a good reason for :ABORT responses not to have an optional
> message associated with them, or would a patch be welcomed for all
> of
> the uses of `slime-rex' to consistently accept an optional message?

I dislike this idea.  Why can't the function just return an error
indicator together with the error message if it can't complete
normally?  I think we shouldn't add an exception system for RPCs.
Tagged return values are easy to understand and good enough for the
job.

Also, dropping into the debugger seems to be the proper action to
take.  If SLIME doesn't handle the returned value it's obviously a
bug.  (And the bug will be fixed sooner if the debugger pops up.)

Arbitrary user code may (or not) assume the presence of an ABORT
restart, but that's quite a different story.