[slime-devel] Re: SLIME + syntax highlighting

Jeronimo Pellegrini j_p at aleph0.info
Mon Jun 4 09:24:52 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 10:10:06AM +0200, Tobias C. Rittweiler wrote:
> Jeronimo Pellegrini <j_p at aleph0.info> writes:
>
> > I have noticed that when I define my own macros and functions,
> > SLIME knows their syntax. If I do:
> >
> > (my-function-name
> >
> > SLIME will show the syntax at the minibuffer.
>
> (For the record: that is when SLIME-AUTODOC-MODE is T.)

Ah, yes. I did add that to my .emacs...

> Syntax highlighting is called `font-lock' (or fontifying) in Emacs; and
> fontifying is defined by Emacs, and as such completely orthogonal to
> Slime. Look at the end of the file `font-lock.el' (or .el.gz) within
> your Emacs distribution. (Especially `lisp-font-lock-keywords-2'.)

Ok... So SLIME doesn't interact with that in any way, I guess?

> In general, only standard macros and special forms are highlighted
> specially. I've got the following in my ~/.emacs, however:
>
>   (font-lock-add-keywords 'lisp-mode
>    '(("(\\(\\(define-\\|do-\\|with-\\)\\(\\s_\\|\\w\\)*\\)"
>      1 font-lock-keyword-face)))
>
> So all symbols beginning with `define-', `do-', or `with-' are
> highlighted specially. (As these should denote macros.)

This is great! I'm using it now, and it already helps with some symbols
that I define which start with "do-".

But I was thinking that maybe SLIME could dynamically add keywords to
be highlighted?

Like, whenever SLIME saw a (defmacro foo ...), it would add "foo" to the
keyword list? That would be wonderful!

Thanks!
J.