[slime-devel] SWANK+CMUCL closed streams bug: "There's junk in this string"

Madhu enometh at meer.net
Sat Jul 7 14:46:39 UTC 2007

Helu

I wonder if others have seen this problem: I see it once in a while and
thought I'd ask here first.

Lisp breaks off the connection with the following messages

At the slime REPL:

> ;; swank:close-connection: There's junk in this string: "ces (q".

In *slime-events*

>(:emacs-rex
> (swank:arglist-for-echo-area
>  '("mb")
>  :arg-indices
>  '(2)
>  :print-right-margin 80 :print-lines nil)
> "COMMON-LISP-USER" :repl-thread 2589)
>(:emacs-rex
> (swank:listener-eval "(mb  1240368  2183207)\n")
> "COMMON-LISP-USER" :repl-thread 2590)
>(:write-string ";; swank:close-connection: There's junk in this string: \"ces (q\".\n")

And at the CMUCL REPL (debugger):

>Source: (ERROR "~S is closed." STREAM)q
>
>Help! 12 nested errors.  KERNEL:*MAXIMUM-ERROR-DEPTH* exceeded.
>
>Debug  (type H for help)
>
>(LISP::CLOSED-FLAME #<Stream for descriptor 9>)

Then, at the CMUCL repl, I can keep hitting `q' and get the same error
message repeated a number of times until enough input is read, and
either I pop back to the top level prompt (if I'm lucky), or I get
dropped into ldb and lisp exits, if unlucky.  If I do get back a prompt,
A GC will show a number of

>** Closed the Terminal
>** Closed the Terminal
>** Closed the Terminal
>** Closed the Terminal

lines.

Have other people seen this sort of problem?

I'd like to track down the source of the problem, so any suggestions are
welcome.

--
Madhu

PS: Marco, did you get my earlier report and patch on the inspector
being broken from the last commits?