[slime-devel] Re: Daily ChangeLog diff - NO MORE SLIME STARTUP ANIMATION!!

Sean O'Rourke sorourke at cs.ucsd.edu
Sat Feb 3 04:15:19 UTC 2007

Juho Snellman <jsnell at iki.fi> writes:
> I find the "community's version" to be a rather curious
> concept.

Why?  Since it's mixed GPL / public domain, each of us can have a
personal copy.  A canonical version is, by agreement and to ease
collaborative development, kept in a CVS repository on
common-lisp.net.  I'm calling this the "community's version" --
you can call it whatever you want, but that's all I mean by the
phrase.  If we had some sort of distributed version control,
maybe there would be no "community's version" at all.  Maybe I
should call it a "reference," "common," or "baseline" version
instead to be more precise.

Those who contribute more (i.e. not me) have more say in how the
project evolves, but I don't claim some sort of ownership over
the particular lines I've contributed, and I don't think that's
the way things work in other projects, either.

> If anyone has a moral ownership of Slime, it's Helmut, who has
> contributed by far the most to it.

Sorry, but (IMHO) no one has "moral ownership."  You contribute
code, you give up exclusive ownership.

/s