[slime-devel] fork ?

jan jan.marecek at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 23:24:37 UTC 2007

I think Attila's enthusiasm for improving slime is great, however, I
also think that some of the unspoken rules of open source have been
broken here.

These conventions are documented in ESR's 'Homesteading the Nooshere',
but since that essay is rather long winded and philosophical I'll
summarize here.

1. Attila, you're playing on Helmut's turf, you need to respect the
   ground rules set and also accept that Helmut has final say.

2. If you really, really can't abide by point 1 then you should create
   a proper fork. This means choosing a new name and creating a new
   project with its own mailing list. On your project website you
   should also try and justify the fork and the inevitable drain on
   developer resources.

Note that forking due to trivialities is highly unlikely to attract
other developers.

Once you've forked, it's inappropriate to send suggestions to the
slime mailing list. If you wish for slime to continue to improve, then
release your fork under an open source license, but allow slime
developers to port the changes they want. It's especially bad form to
re-suggest changes you couldn't push through before the fork.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.slime.devel/5542
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.slime.devel/5788
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.slime.devel/5953

So I think Helmut's position is justified and not an overreaction
(although an ultimatum is probably not the most effective course of
action). My advice to Attila would be firstly to apologize, then
either retract the fork or commit to it, the current situation cannot
continue.

just my 2c

--
jan