[slime-devel] cutting up slime.el

Attila Lendvai attila.lendvai at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 11:37:10 UTC 2007

dear list,

have anybody ever tought of cutting up slime.el into more files?
especially cutting out the framework'ey and compatibility bits into a
file that can be loaded at the head of slime.el. but also other
sections could be cut out, like fuzzy completion, sldb, etc.

i may not be aware of something, but i think it's not reasonable that
slime.el is a single 450k file.

my actual problem is that Helmut moved some annoying compatibility
definitions out of the way (to the end of the file) but i'm using some
of them in the darcs repo while loading. i've moved these back to the
head of the file there, but such changes are moving the branches
further away.

if they were in slime-compatibility.el or a bigger slime-utils.el then
it could be loaded easily at the top of slime.el.

any opinions?

--
- attila

"- The truth is that I've been too considerate, and so became
unintentionally cruel...
 - I understand.
 - No, you don't understand! We don't speak the same language!"
(Ingmar Bergman - Smultronstället)