[slime-devel] Re: SLIME 2007-03-24 change to remove the timer for async REPL output

Madhu enometh at meer.net
Sun Aug 26 02:58:42 UTC 2007

[Sorry helmut if you get bored by me repeating the same thing again and
again]

* Matthias Koeppe <871wdrqhk5.fsf at moose.moosenet> :
| the change below (from 2007-03-24) causes the output and the REPL
| result to be displayed in the wrong order (occasionally,
| non-deterministically), when *use-dedicated-output-stream* = t.  (This
| was reported on the mailing list on 2007-04-22 and I can reproduce it;
| however, I am normally not using this mode myself.)
|
| The reason is a race between the REPL results (sent through SLIME
| events) and the regular process output (sent through the dedicated
| stream).  The removed code worked around this race by waiting a small
| amount of time.

The workaround is was response to the bug I reported in my email
message[1] to the group. I had reported the problem again[2] (as you
refer to above), and requested your rationale in employing this code in
the first place.

[...]
| I would like to re-introduce (and document the rationale of) the
| removed code using the patch below, for the benefit of users of
| *use-dedicated-output-stream* = t.
|
| Any objections?

The workaround is suspect and introduces more non-deterministic
behaviour.  There are flaws with this approach and unless you can fix or
address the problems mentioned in [1] and [3] I would prefer this not be
reintroduced into SLIME.

If it must be reintroduced perhaps this stuff should be moved to contrib
and core slime should only have something simple and which works
reliably and is of sound design.

Madhu.

[1] Archived-At: <http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.slime.devel/5969>