[slime-devel] Re: contrib branch

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Sat Aug 25 17:19:02 UTC 2007

* Tobias C. Rittweiler [2007-08-25 18:41+0200] writes:

> Shouldn't people who make changes to Slime try to introduce as little
> breakage as possible, including the contribs? (I.e. at least that

Well, contribs are second class citizens.  If a contrib breaks it's
the burden of the contrib author/maintainer to fix that.  I don't
expect that we will intentionally break contribs or make it needlessly
difficult to fix them, but contribs shouldn't be our primary concern.

> I'd still like to see swank.lisp split into swank-utils.lisp for exactly
> that purpose. The point of swank-utils.list is that it should contain
> shared functionality between core and contribs (and among the contribs
> themselves). Because it's supposed to contain _well abstracted_, generic
> utility functionalities, people are pressured to come up with, and to
> use abstractions in their code.

Yeah, you said that more than once.  It's getting boring.