[slime-devel] Re: [patch] a way to specify custom Emacs indentation right in the Lisp source

Michael Livshin gmane at cmm.kakpryg.net
Sat Aug 25 16:00:11 UTC 2007

Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche at math.ntnu.no> writes:

> + Michael Livshin <gmane at cmm.kakpryg.net>:
>
> | <example>
> | (defmacro my-macro (name (&rest args) &body function-bindings)
> |   ...)
>
> Uh, am I missing something here, or is that an inappropriate use of
> &body?  I would use &rest in this situation.  Why don't you?

because with &REST Emacs would indent the bindings waaaay to the right
(unless I put the name and args on a separate line, which is also not
really plesant), so I've sort of grown used to use &BODY in such
cases.

> It's just that my gut reaction says that a list of function bindings
> is not a body, and so saying it is one seems disingenuous.

I think your gut reaction is right, if one is willing to discount the
present realities of using Emacs and Slime.

thanks,
--m