[slime-devel] Re: contrib branch

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Sat Aug 25 10:47:06 UTC 2007

* Tobias C. Rittweiler [2007-08-25 11:59+0200] writes:

> Helmut Eller <heller at common-lisp.net> writes:
>
>> I think we should try the simplest variant first.  If that doesn't
>> work, we can try something more sophisticated.  The simplest variant
>> is to provide only a single feature set, i.e. only the stuff that is
>> in the core.
>
> What exactly do you consider to be the maintaince burden of my proposal?

Well, if we provide some default configuration which loads almost all
contribs, people will mostly likely expect that that configuration
works reasonably well.  And we will--perhaps only
subconsciously--spend a lot of time on that configuration, even if we
don't use it.

It's also more likely that contrib modules depend on each other when
contrib authors know that some other module is in the default
configuration.  I don't say that all contrib modules must be prefectly
isolated from each other, but those contribs which depend only on the
core are probably easier to maintain.