[slime-devel] Re: 2007-08-23 change to arglist display code: interns symbols as you type

Matthias Koeppe mkoeppe+slime at mail.math.uni-magdeburg.de
Fri Aug 24 17:34:38 UTC 2007

"Tobias C. Rittweiler" <tcr at freebits.de> writes:

> Matthias Koeppe <mkoeppe+slime at mail.math.uni-magdeburg.de> writes:
>
>> Please, I explained to you before in private mail why we need to be
>> careful not to use READ to get the forms to the CL side.
>>
>> Can you please fix that?
>
> It's better now than previously, but not perfect yet. The `defmethod'
> test case you provided, still interns the generic-function name
> needlessly. I'll get that straight later.

Please do so.  It is not acceptable to intern all these symbols (in
particular when slime-autodoc-mode is in effect!).  It is not just a
minor question of aesthetics.

By the way, is there any code yet that augments arglists with &ANY
declarations?  I'd love to see EVAL-WHEN working.

One more comment.  In this change:

2007-08-24  Tobias C. Rittweiler <tcr at freebits.de>

	(%slime-nesting-until-point): New helper for
	`slime-parse-extended-operator/declare'.

Please don't invent such naming conventions ("%" for "internal
functions"?), which are not already used in Emacs.  Functions in Emacs
packages start with the "package name" as a prefix, period.  (See also
`current-slime-narrowing-configuration', which still needs to be
fixed.)

Matthias
--
Matthias Köppe -- http://www.math.uni-magdeburg.de/~mkoeppe