[slime-devel] Re: Switching repl threads

Osei Poku osei.poku at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 15:47:19 UTC 2007

On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 03:48:09PM +0200, Otto Diesenbacher wrote:
> Osei Poku <osei.poku at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > long function.  Can I keep this thread alive *and* disconnect the
> > slime connection?
>
> have a look at screen
> (f.e. http://www.csci.csusb.edu/turner/archive/notes/screen.html) and
> start emacs inside a screensession (emacs -nw)
>
> You can deattach your emacs-session, login via ssh reattach your
> emacs-session, etc. as you like...

Yes I do this already and it is extremely convenient.  I had already
started something out of screen that's why I asked the question.  I
needed to transfer the repl-thread to an emacs that was started in a
screen.

I ended up waiting for the function to finish, however, while
investigating I noticed an emacs function "slime-thread-attach" in
slime.el which seemed promising.  However, I think it just starts a
new connection in different repl thread.  I can't imagine how I would
get it work though since I cannot detach a thread. Running that
command gives an error about the slime port file already existing.

Someone on #lisp had mentioned that Allegro CL had this capability in
its repl.

>    hope that gave you an idea,
>
>    okflo

Osei Poku