[slime-devel] Re: [RfC] Reorganization of source

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Sun Aug 12 19:09:00 UTC 2007

* Tobias C. Rittweiler [2007-08-12 16:20+0200] writes:

> It is, partially. I want a way to introduce new features that are
> clearly cut apart from the core.

Well, I think that a way to introduce new features is uninteresting as
long as we don't have a way to remove features (from the core).

> What do you understand under "features to support"? And what do you
> understand under "support" in this context?
>
> (Do you mean accomodating code from features you do not care about while
> hacking on some other code?)

Supporting a feature means to ensure that the intended functionality
actually works and continues to work in the future.  It means also to
read the bug reports and to fix the code in question; or to read the
CVS commits to undo the introduces bugs; and also writing the related
test cases and documentation.

> I can understand that point. But it does not seem hold. New features
> seem to be piled up (and want to be piled up), but without much care
> about the rest of the code base, because -- in my eyes -- no one is able
> to keep an overview over the code base anymore.

I consider it a good thing that no new features are added.

> And the weight of the existing code base seems to prevent any
> large-scale simplification. I for one try to keep my nose out of
> slime.el.
>
> My intention is to remedy exactly this by an incremental approach.

The only thing that prevents simplification is that nobody has the
guts to remove features.