[slime-devel] incompatible protocol?

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Fri Apr 13 21:24:12 UTC 2007

+ Joe Corneli <jcorneli at planetmath.org>:

| Hi -- I am getting weird results with my remote slime connection.
|
| I am running and SBCL 0.9.16 and swank from SLIME 2.0 on a remote
| linux box, and connecting with SLIME 2.0 on
|
|   GNU Emacs 22.0.91.3 from 2006-12-16.
|
| When I `slime-connect' I get this prompt:
|
| Protocol version mismatch. Continue anyway? (yes or no)

What do you get from evaluating

swank::*swank-wire-protocol-version* on the remote lisp, and
slime-protocol-version on the local emacs?

If they are not the same, you need to upgrade on at least one end.  In
my experience, it works okay to upgrade swank in a running lisp image,
and to reload slime.el in a running emacs, and open a new connection.

- Harald