[slime-devel] RFC for completion behaviour

Nikodemus Siivola nikodemus at random-state.net
Fri Apr 6 09:29:53 UTC 2007

Tobias C. Rittweiler wrote:
 > Hi Slime-hackers,
 >
 > Two issues related to how completion should behave:
 >
 >   a) As of now, completing on "asdf::" or "asdf::foo" means that it's
 >      What's your opinion on this?

Yes please!

 >   b) Slime's standard completion function `SLIME-COMPLETE-SYMBOL*'
 >      I'd like to restore the traditional behaviour. Comments?

Fine with me.

Also, an additional request: for the q-key to about a completion
attempt I need to enter the completion buffer. Ok, I see how this
makes sense. But if I allow my reflexes to hit Esc Esc Esc to cancel
the completion attempt the completion buffer is hidden but the
arrow-keys in my previous buffer remain attached to the now-hidden
completion buffer.

I suggest that a single Esc in the orginal buffer should work just
like a q in the completion buffer, or that there was another single
keystroke to dismiss the completion buffer.

Finally, we don't seem to have a way to select a completion and
insert just the completion anymore.

I have plenty of code with calls of the form of just (FOO). Hitting
space in the completion buffer while using paredit gives me (FOO ),
and hitting enter (FOO
). Can we please make either one just insert the completion, and not
the character also?

Cheers,

  --- Nikodemus