[slime-devel] Re: *sldb sbcl/0* infinite loop?

Jeffrey Cunningham jeffrey.k.cunningham at boeing.com
Thu Apr 5 16:06:25 UTC 2007

Jeffrey Cunningham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been running into a problem off and on for several weeks that
> seems to come from an interaction between slime and SBCL resulting in an
> infinite loop requiring me to killall sbcl to stop it. Until now I
> haven't been able to isolate it to a simple case. Here's one:
>
> * I start up emacs (21.4.1)
> * I start up M-x slime (2007-03-29).
> * In the slime-repl I type the bogus command 'lt' <enter>.
>
> The speaker starts beeping and slime and emacs are utterly hung. I have
> to kill sbcl which releases emacs to keyboard commands.
>
> When I hit C-x b a window opens up at the bottom of emacs which shows
> the following:
>
> iswitch
> {imagelib.lisp,*scratch*,*Messages*,*Compile-Log*,*slime-events*,*sldb
> sbcl/0*,*sldb sbcl/0*<2>,*sldb sbcl/0*<3>,...
> where the number inside the braces keeps incrementing forever
> <4>,...,<5>... etc.
>
> I will attach a screen capture in case it isn't clear. I can't navigate
> to that window and copy it.
>
> The steps I've taken to isolate the problem are to update sbcl to todays
> version (1.0.4) compiled from source (from 1.0.3 - both act the same
> way), and to remove my .sbclrc file.
>
> Any ideas how to debug this?
>
> Thanks
>
> --Jeff Cunningham

I have a feeling the attachment may have blocked this from reaching the
list, so I'm resending it without the image. I also managed to get into
the *Messages* buffer and here's what I found there:

error in process filter: sldb-mode: Symbol's function definition is
void: delay-mode-hooks
error in process filter: Symbol's function definition is void:
delay-mode-hooks
; pipelined request... (swank:debugger-info-for-emacs 0 10)
error in process filter: sldb-mode: Symbol's function definition is
void: delay-mode-hooks
error in process filter: Symbol's function definition is void:
delay-mode-hooks
; pipelined request... (swank:debugger-info-for-emacs 0 10)
error in process filter: sldb-mode: Symbol's function definition is
void: delay-mode-hooks

This repeats over and over - 51 times.

--Jeff