[slime-devel] Re: why does swank:*globally-redirect-io* defalut to NIL?

Nikodemus Siivola nikodemus at random-state.net
Wed Sep 27 10:31:50 UTC 2006

"William Bland" <doctorbill.news at gmail.com> writes:

> I agree that T would be the more preferable default.

I'm fine with that too.

> Unfortunately this stopped working for me, I would guess something
> like a month ago.  I just checked, and this feature of the current cvs
> slime does not work on:
> - OS X on an Intel MacBook
> - very recent cvs Gnu Emacs
> - SBCL 0.9.16

The time when this happened was probably a while back (late spring or
early summer unless memory fails), when SBCL changed the way special
variables work with threads: threads used to inherit the bindings from
their parents, which i no longer the case -- all threads use the global
bindings unless the variable has been bound in the thread.

And before you ask, no *default-special-bindings* and equivalents
don't exist yet, but will "soon".

Cheers,

  -- Nikodemus              Schemer: "Buddha is small, clean, and serious."
                   Lispnik: "Buddha is big, has hairy armpits, and laughs."