[slime-devel] Re: swank version check

Nikodemus Siivola nikodemus at random-state.net
Thu Oct 26 07:29:24 UTC 2006

Marco Baringer <mb at bese.it> writes:

>   i'm thinking about adding a version check when connecting to a swank
>   server to ensure that slime.el and swank.lisp are in-synch. this
>   would remove the, admitedly rare, errors whan the two are out of
>   synch (this can happen when running a local slime against a remote
>   lisp or when swank has be built into the image and isn't reloaded
>   each time the lisp is started). however this would require that
>   everytime a change is commited people must remeber to update the
>   version number. is this worth the overhead?

I think so, having been bitten by this myself. ,-)

...though I'm not sure that it need to be incremented for _every_ commit,
since often enough what passes over the wire is unaffected.

Also, FWIW, SBCL has had good experience with version.lisp-expr, which
gets incremented for each commit.

Cheers,

  -- Nikodemus              Schemer: "Buddha is small, clean, and serious."
                   Lispnik: "Buddha is big, has hairy armpits, and laughs."