[slime-devel] Re: fuzzy completion patch again

Brian Downing bdowning at lavos.net
Fri Oct 20 15:36:02 UTC 2006

On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 04:41:05PM +0200, Attila Lendvai wrote:
> you need to press at least one TAB to activate it. so it's "(mvb" TAB SPACE

I forgot to mention I was hitting my fuzzy-completion key in there
(instead of tab).  I have C-c C-i bound to slime-fuzzy-complete-symbol.
So I type (with in-place enabled):

( m v b C-c C-i Space

and get nothing.  But:

( m v b C-c C-i )

gets me "(multiple-value-bind)".

I guess I'd like to know the behavior that's expected with in-place t,
so I don't break anything.  :)

> >It it's still bugging me after you're done I'll find a way to hack the
> >old UI back in as an option.
>
> hm, i can't really remember the old behaviour but afair the new one only
> adds extra features when slime-fuzzy-completion-in-place is nil. my memory
> may trick me, though, because we use it for several months now. in either
> case our intention was to extend it, not to reform it, so feel free to
> restore any behaviour you are missing.

Okay, I'll do so.  A short list is:

* Target buffer is put into target-buffer-mode even when in-place is
  nil.
* Target buffer no longer "live-updates" the completion when in-place
  is nil.
* Hitting RET in the completion buffer inserts a RET into the target
  buffer when in-place is nil.  (And SPACE inserts a space instead of
  paging down as per the usual emacs read-only buffer behavior - I may
  keep this, though...)

-bcd