[slime-devel] Re: temp-buffer-quit patch

Attila Lendvai attila.lendvai at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 15:05:17 UTC 2006

> i've started doing small fixes to slime like this. what is the protocol to
> ask for commit rights? is it enough to promise that i'll not commit anything
> big without prior discussion and that i'll add proper ChangeLog entries as
> everyone else?

to shamelessly advertise myself, i've optimized the fuzzy completion by
using vectors and now it's nearly twice as fast... :)

the patch is attached:

2006-10-20  Attila Lendvai  < attila.lendvai at gmail.com>

    * slime.el (slime-fuzzy-completion-limit): New variable.
    (slime-fuzzy-completion-time-limit-in-msec): New variable.
    (slime-fuzzy-next): Fix when at the end of the buffer.

    * swank.lisp (prin1-to-string-for-emacs): Fix vector
    printing to use the elisp [] syntax.
    (fuzzy-completions and friends): Added :limit and
    :time-limit-in-msec keyword params. Used vectors instead of
    lists to double its speed (at least on sbcl). Added some
    declare optimize and type annotations.

CL-USER> (time (progn
                 (swank:fuzzy-completions "" "SB-PCL")
                 (values)))

Evaluation took:
  1.398 seconds of real time
  1.308801 seconds of user run time
  0.006999 seconds of system run time
  0 calls to %EVAL
  0 page faults and
  3,192,528 bytes consed.
; No value

after:

CL-USER> (time (progn
                 (swank:fuzzy-completions "" "SB-PCL")
                 (values)))

Evaluation took:
  0.782 seconds of real time
  0.676897 seconds of user run time
  0.002 seconds of system run time
  0 calls to %EVAL
  0 page faults and
  3,203,648 bytes consed.
; No value

--
- attila

"- The truth is that I've been too considerate, and so became
unintentionally cruel...
- I understand.
- No, you don't understand! We don't speak the same language!"
(Ingmar Bergman - Smultronstället)