[slime-devel] Re: slime dies on printing some characters?

Nikodemus Siivola nikodemus at random-state.net
Mon Oct 9 17:19:19 UTC 2006

T Taneli Vahakangas <vahakang at cs.helsinki.fi> writes:

> I'm a newb to lisp (using sbcl), slime and emacs, so maybe this is
> a FAQ or some other trivia I just can't find ... anyway, doing this:
>
> (string #\UGARITIC_LETTER_ALPA)
>
> causes slime to die and complain on emacs bottom-line about:
> error in process filter: net-read error: (end-of-file)
>
> If I start sbcl from the command-line it works. Most other
> interesting characters work, like, say #\ARABIC_LETTER_HAMZA or
> #\HEBREW_LETTER_ALEF, but for whatever reason ugaritic and some
> others don't. I don't have a comprehensive list, but besides
> ugaritic, at least #\LANGUAGE_TAG kills slime.
>
> What can be done about it? Is there a setting somewhere that
> needs to be (un)done?

Is some Unicode characters work, and some don't then it sounds like an
Emacs bug decoding or SBCL encoding bug to me.

What happens if you write the problematic characters into an UTF-8
encoded file using SBCL, and then try to open it as an UTF-8 file
using Emacs? Can you verify that the contents of the file are as
expected using something other then Emacs or SBCL?

Cheers,

  -- Nikodemus              Schemer: "Buddha is small, clean, and serious."
                   Lispnik: "Buddha is big, has hairy armpits, and laughs."