[slime-devel] Re: COPYRIGHT change - slime contributors please read this

Marco Baringer mb at bese.it
Tue Oct 3 23:31:50 UTC 2006

Bradford W Miller <Bradford_W_Miller at raytheon.com> writes:

> I don't think this is a good idea for two reasons. 1) you don't have the
> right to put anything but your own work into the public domain (and even
> then because of implicit copyrights, etc. even a dedication to the public
> domain may not be sufficient). 2) by putting the work into the public
> domain you lose all control over it - someone else can sell it, and take
> credit for it for instance, and the author (or anyone else for that
> matter) will have no recourse.

it was most certainly NOT my intention to impose a particular
copyright on someone else, sorry if i jumped the gun here. However
most of SLIME (swank.lisp, swank-sbcl.lisp, present.lisp, etc.)
already is public-domain and other files, like slime.el and
swank-lispworks.lisp, have their own copyright notices written by the
original authors.

> If you want to put something into the public domain, you will at the very
> least have to have the author submit a statement of dedication to that
> effect.

the only source-code file which didn't have a copyright notice was
swank-ecl.lisp and i have the author's permission for that. what
should i do for README and HACKING where there is no single author?

--
-Marco
Ring the bells that still can ring.