[slime-devel] Re: Small fixes

Nikodemus Siivola nikodemus at random-state.net
Thu Nov 23 10:29:54 UTC 2006

Antonio Menezes Leitao <aml at gia.ist.utl.pt> writes:

> Helmut Eller <heller at common-lisp.net> writes:
>
>> Are you saying that, if point is at (setf c.ar), M-. should
>> automatically jump to the definition of #'(setf car) ?
>
> Not quite.  What I'm saying is that if the point is at
>
> (setf (c.ar x) y)
>
> or
>
> (setf (foo x) y
>       (bar y) x
>       (c.ar z) w)
>
> then we should jump to #'(setf car), no questions asked (because the
> context seems clear enough to me).

I would greatly prefer to be offered both (SETF CAR) and CAR.

Also, consider setf-expansions:

  (defun mycar (x) (car x))
  (defun setmycar (x y) (setf (car x) y))
  (defsetf mycar setmycar)

What should happen in this?

  (setf (my.car *x*) 42)

IMO ideally the user would be presented with all three possibilities
in the XREF buffer, or just MYCAR and the (DEFSETF MYCAR).

Cheers,

  -- Nikodemus              Schemer: "Buddha is small, clean, and serious."
                   Lispnik: "Buddha is big, has hairy armpits, and laughs."