[slime-devel] slime feature proposal: message-of-the-day

Stefan Kamphausen skampi at gmx.net
Fri Nov 3 15:27:07 UTC 2006

Hi,

Marco Baringer <mb at bese.it> writes:

> hi,
>
>   i have a new slime feature but i'm debating whethere it's actually
>   useful as part of standard slime or just bloat:
>
>   we have a new variable swank:*motd-pathname* which, when not NIL, is
>   assumed to name a ChangeLog formated file. When we connect slime to
>   swank this file is read and the entries in the last N days are given
>   to slime to be inserted into the repl before the prompt and after
>   the banner.
>
>   The idea behind this variable is tha a group of programmers would
>   use it to communicate or remind themselves about development related
>   changes (i'm thinking stuff like changes to default startup
>   procedures, moving databases, api changes, test suite results,
>   etc.).

If you're already there one might think about introducing roles and
have different messages displayed.  You could declare yourself to be a
'slime-developer which would lead to messages concerning (e.g.)
internal changes or you could play the role of a 'slime-user and could
be given hints when some important functions change or when new
features are introduced.

Other roles

'slime-newbie (default) - common usage tips
'slime-ignoramus        - no messages at all

Just thinking here...
Regards
Stefan
--
Stefan Kamphausen --- http://www.skamphausen.de
a blessed +42 regexp of confusion (weapon in hand)