[slime-devel] Problem getting slime working

David Barker kzar at kzar.co.uk
Wed Nov 1 21:48:07 UTC 2006

Hmm I added (require 'slime) and (slime-setup) to my ~/.emacs file and now
when I first run emacs I get a Lisp Interaction buffer that does tabbing
and  things but it doesn't seem to effect the slime buffer or the buffers
of lisp files I load. Thanks

> On 10/30/06, David Barker <kzar at kzar.co.uk> wrote:
>> I don't think I need to add that because I am on debian I think its
done for me. The file /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50slime.el seems to be
for loading slime.

>> (let ((package-dir (concat "/usr/share/"
>>                            (if (boundp 'flavor) (symbol-name flavor)
>>                              "emacs")
>>                            "/site-lisp/slime")))
>>   (when (file-directory-p package-dir)
>>         (setq load-path (cons package-dir load-path))))
>>
>> (setq slime-backend
>>       "/usr/share/common-lisp/source/slime/swank-loader.lisp")
>>
>> (mapcar #'(lambda (fn) (autoload fn "slime" nil t))
>>         '(slime slime-connect slime-mode))
>>
>> Or do I still need to add some / all of the stuff to my ~/.emacs file?
>
> I don't know the specifics for debian, but it looking at the code it
still doesn't call slime-setup.  Maybe they left it for the ~/.emacs?
I'd suggest you try it and/or ask again on the list specifying more
details.  I believe Peter Van Eynde is on the list and he is the debian
package maintainer.

> Cheers,
> Ivan
>
> --
> "...Please don't assume Lisp is only useful for Animation and Graphics,
AI, Bioinformatics, B2B and E-Commerce, Data Mining, EDA/Semiconductor
applications, Expert Systems, Finance, Intelligent Agents, Knowledge
Management, Mechanical CAD, Modeling and Simulation, Natural Language,
Optimization, Research, Risk Analysis, Scheduling, Telecom, and Web
Authoring just because these are the only things they happened to list."