[slime-devel] Re: On the numbering of restarts in SLDB

Nikodemus Siivola nikodemus at random-state.net
Wed May 31 08:15:18 UTC 2006

Gary King <gwking at metabang.com> writes:

> Although it makes perfect sense, I find it irritating that the number
> for the [abort-request] restart in SLDB depends on how many other
> restarts are active. For clarity's sake, here is a list of restarts:
>
>> Restarts:
>>   0: [RETRY] Retry performing #<LOAD-OP NIL #x84F81F6> on #<SYSTEM
>> "cl-containers" #x84E8EE6>.
>>   1: [ACCEPT] Continue, treating #<LOAD-OP NIL #x84F81F6> on
>> #<SYSTEM "cl-containers" #x84E8EE6> as having been successful.
>>   2: [ABORT-REQUEST] Abort handling SLIME request.
>>   3: [ABORT-BREAK] Reset this process
>>   4: [ABORT] Kill this process
>
> In this case, I should type '2' to give up on this request and try
> something else. In other cases, however, I might need to type '7' or
> 5' or whatever. This means that I have to look and see what to type
> every single time I hit an error (and, hey, I hit a lot of errors in
> my code!). It also scares me that I could misread and type the key
> for [abort-break] or [abort] by accident. Here is my suggestion as to

Isn't q bound to ABORT-REQUEST for just this reason?

It may not be immediately obvious from the documentation that it
is equivalent, but it indeed is. Maybe just the documentation needs to
be improved?

Cheers,

  -- Nikodemus              Schemer: "Buddha is small, clean, and serious."
                   Lispnik: "Buddha is big, has hairy armpits, and laughs."