[slime-devel] slime-edit-definition problem

Håkon Alstadheim hakon at alstadheim.priv.no
Thu May 25 14:00:31 UTC 2006

Note: I mis-clicked and sent this to Gabor directly first. Meant it to
go to the list.
Gábor Melis wrote:

>On Thursday 25 May 2006 11:41, Håkon Alstadheim wrote:
>

>>Gábor Melis wrote:
>>

>>>I am running debian/etch with emacs21.4a-3. Some time ago - maybe
>>>when emacs was upgraded - M-. stopped working. Well, it works if
>>>there are multiple choices, but if there is just one, then it
>>>prints the error:
>>>
>>>Args out of range: #^[t nil 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... ], -134217682
>>>
>>>It seems that find-file-noselect is the culprit, but I have no idea
>>>what's wrong with it. The strange thing is that if I define another
>>>mapping for slime-edit-definition then that works where the other
>>>doesn't:
>>>
>>>(define-key slime-repl-mode-map "\C-ci" 'slime-edit-definition)
>>>
>>>It's the same under both sbcl and allegro.
>>>

>>Most likely a bad interaction between tramp and some
>>buffer-{process|file}-encoding. I got mine going by
>>The operative change is that this in the original tramp:
>>   (and (integerp last-input-event)
>>            (or ...
>>becomes this:
>>   (and (integerp last-input-event)
>>         (plusp last-input-event)
>>         (or ...
>>

>Bingo, thanks a lot. Is this change going to make it into tramp or is it
>just a workaround for slime?
>
>Gábor

I never contacted anybody with my findings. Should probably file a
bug-report with the tramp folks.
If anybody is on some tramp-devel list or something, feel free to
forward this to them. FYI: I'm running debian etch, with slime and tramp
from there. To file a proper bug report you should get slime and tramp
from CVS and verify that the bug still exists.