[slime-devel] Re: compile-file, slime and line number?

Bill Clementson billclem at gmail.com
Sat May 13 00:18:04 UTC 2006

> > To me, it looks like it's a problem with the bes-i0 function; however,
> > you will probably get better advice on a CLM mailing list.
>
> Yes, that's where i eventually found the solution.  I'm going to start
> with asking there first next time with regards to clm.
>
> > Instead of using compile-file at the REPL in SLIME, try just doing C-c
> > M-k when you are in the mus.lisp source file. That will compile the
> > file and produce a list of compile errors in a separate
> > *compiler-notes* buffer. In the *compiler-notes* buffer, you can place
> > your cursor on the particular error message and press Enter. That will
> > take you to the place in the mus.lisp source file where the
> > compilation error occured.
>
> That's information I was looking for.  I'm used to working in emacs
> with compile so I was hoping that sort of functionality was in slime.
> Thanks for the help.

You're welcome.

Incidentally, if you're interested in CLM, you might want to have a
look at a blog posting I made a while back:
http://bc.tech.coop/blog/050501.html

It discusses a course at Stanford University that is using CLM &
SLIME. On the links from that entry, you can get to info on the course
material, computer music, CLM, Common Music, a SLIME tutorial and
other goodies.

If you want to learn more about using SLIME, it is worth your while to
read the SLIME manual too. As with most technical documentation, it
makes more sense once you've used the software a bit, but it is quite
readable. ;-)

Of course, the "definitive" SLIME tutorial is the movie that Marco
Barringer made. I comment and link to that here:
http://bc.tech.coop/blog/050728.html

- Bill