[slime-devel] Re: three little patches

Gary King gwking at metabang.com
Wed Mar 22 01:08:50 UTC 2006

Hi Helmut,

>> won't this make (find-definitions foo:test) returns definitions for
>> bar:test as well? do we really want this?
>
> No, at least not by default. "apropos" should be used to search
> similar symbols.

I agree that we wouldn't want what Marco fears but that's not what
the patch does. Since this is about finding definitions (not symbols)
it doesn't seem to me that apropos is appropriate (so to speak <smile>).

> It might be useful though, to add a hook to find-definitions so that
> users can include whatever definitions they think are appropriate.

Making things **simply** extensible is often a-good-thing (tm).

Has anyone actually tried the patch. FWIW, I find the behavior very
intuitive (since it works the way meta-point does in MCL!).

What do other people do when they want to find a symbol in some other
package? Do you always write out the package first?

thanks,
--
Gary Warren King
metabang.com