[slime-devel] Re: SLIME+Allegro on Windows

Brian Downing bdowning at lavos.net
Sun Mar 5 23:14:11 UTC 2006

On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 01:58:15PM -0800, Peter Seibel wrote:
> So, don't most (all?) Lisp's have some way to accept the name of a
> file to load as a command line argument? I understand that in the
> early days it was good to just use the *inferior-lisp* machinary
> because it was there and, when SLIME was in early development, it gave
> you a way to talk to Lisp when all else failed. Maybe the time has
> come to break free of the *inferior-lisp* legacy? Assuming I figure
> out a clean way to have SLIME pass the file-to-load-on-startup info to
> the spawned Lisp, is there anything else that would be lost by
> abandoning *inferior-lisp*?

At least on Lispworks here, lots of threads' *standard-output* seem to
go to the tty where Lisp was started, which means I see a lot of logging
and tracing output there.  It'd suck if that were going to go to the bit
bucket instead.

Also, it's nice for when the Swank interface goes pear-shaped to have a
backup way to interact with the underlying Lisp.

-bcd
--
*** Brian Downing <bdowning at lavos dot net>