[slime-devel] Re: SLIME+Allegro on Windows

Peter Seibel peter at gigamonkeys.com
Sun Mar 5 18:06:45 UTC 2006

mikel <mikel at evins.net> writes:

> Franz wants Peter Seibel's Lispbox to work with acl on Windows. The
> obstacle is that acl is not a console application on Windows, and
> doesn't provide a connection to standard input and standard output in
> the normal way. I've agreed to do a little legwork to find a way
> around this problem, and the first thing it occurred to me to do was
> to ask SLIME-devel what sort of connection support SLIME would need to
> connect to acl. Is it sufficient for the running acl to provide
> sockets, so that the lisp-side server can respond to the emacs-side
> SLIME protocol?
>
> What issues am I not thinking of in my naive view of this problem?

I was talking to Kevin Layer at Franz about this same issue and I was
trying to explain why it is that SLIME needs the Lisp to be runnable
as a console app in order for M-x slime to work and discovered that I
couldn't. My understanding, such as it is, is that it's because SLIME
uses the old inferior-lisp mechanism to launch Lisp and that requires
a console app. But why the need to use inferior-lisp--SLIME
communicates the port via a temp file, right. Is there some other
communication that happens via the *inferior-lisp* channel?

-Peter

Peter Seibel           * peter at gigamonkeys.com