[slime-devel] editing files on local swank and remote swank

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Fri Jul 28 16:19:20 UTC 2006

* Rüdiger Sonderfeld [2006-07-26 19:27+0200] writes:

> How can I configure slime so that I can run local as well as on a
> remote machine and edit local and remote files?

This isn't well supported.

It's important to understand that SLIME doesn't copy files around.
All it does is to rewrite filenames so that the Lisp system (or tramp)
can find the file.  This usually means that the file must be readable
by the CL process (possibly via NFS or Samba or something like that).

Instead of the file based commands slime-compile-file/load-file, you
could use the buffer based pendants: compile-region/eval-region.  Then
you don't need to make the file available to the Lisp process, but
that's probably only useful for small modifications.

It might also useful to call

  (remove-hook 'slime-mode-hook 'slime-setup-first-change-hook)

so that SLIME doesn't try to translate filenames if you open a local
file.

Instead of fiddling around with tramp and remote editing, I'd
recommend to always run Emacs and Lisp on the same machine.