[slime-devel] SLIME and sbcl - Lisp connection closed unexpectedly: connection broken by remote peer

Mathias Dahl brakjoller at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 18:02:03 UTC 2006

I get this error when I try to use SLIME with SBCL:

Lisp connection closed unexpectedly: connection broken by remote peer

That is the Emacs message. In the *inferior-lisp* buffer, this is
displayed:

--

WARNING: These Swank interfaces are unimplemented:
 (ACTIVATE-STEPPING CALLS-WHO

NIL
*
Process inferior-lisp hangup

--

I load slime with a small function of mine:

(defun slime-load ()
  (interactive)
  (add-to-list 'load-path "~/pgm/slime/")  ; your SLIME directory
;;  (setq inferior-lisp-program "/usr/bin/clisp") ; your Lisp system
  (setq inferior-lisp-program "/usr/local/bin/sbcl") ; your Lisp system
  (require 'slime)
  (slime-setup))

As you can see, I have used CLISP too, and that works (I changed the
inferior-lisp-program variable just now and tested).

What could be the problem here?

When Googling I mostly found issues with sbcl running remotely, which
is not an issue in my case.

Thanks!

/Mathias