[slime-devel] filename in COMPILE-STRING-FOR-EMACS

Taylor R Campbell campbell at mumble.net
Wed Jul 12 05:04:03 UTC 2006

   Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 10:17:47 +0200
   From: Helmut Eller <heller at common-lisp.net>

   * Taylor R. Campbell [2006-07-10 17:41+0200] writes:

   > Is there a reason that `slime-compile-string' sends only the buffer
   > name and directory, but not the actual filename (if there is one), to
   > COMPILE-STRING-FOR-EMACS?

   Presumably because no backend needed it so far.  Actually, I don't
   know why we include the directory either.  ISTR that Peter Seibel
   added the directory arg.  Maybe he can shed some light on the issue.

Although it's illegal in Common Lisp to bind *LOAD-PATHNAME* or
*LOAD-TRUENAME*, having the information necessary to do the equivalent
operation in Scheme48 would be very useful for SLIME48, in order to
reload individual module definitions, which record the pathname from
which they were loaded.  Right now I can get around this by a rather
strange interaction with Scheme48's rudimentary filename library, but
it would be nice to have the complete pathname, not just the
directory.