[slime-devel] Re: mixed development environment

Marco Baringer mb at bese.it
Tue Jul 11 14:45:26 UTC 2006

Kamen TOMOV <kamen at cybuild.com> writes:

> I run Emacs on Windows and connect to a Linux CMU-CL.
>
> When I execute M-. (edit definition) in a lisp buffer SLIME looks for
> a non-existing file on the local (windows) machine that actually
> resides on the remote (Linux) machine.
>
> Is there a known solution to this problem, e.g. can SLIME fetch the
> remote file or my hopes for a mixed development environment are
> doomed?

assuming you use tramp and ssh add this to your .emacs:

(push (slime-create-filename-translator
       :machine-instance "name of machine as returned by (machine-instance)"
       :remote-host "address (fqdn or ip) of machine"
       :username "username to login with")
      slime-filename-translations)

the slime-create-filename-translator's docstring for all the details.

if you don't use tramp then you'll need to do something else, but i
can't say what without knowing what kind of setup you have.

hth.
--
-Marco
Ring the bells that still can ring.