[slime-devel] mixed development environment

Pascal Bourguignon pjb at informatimago.com
Tue Jul 11 13:14:24 UTC 2006

Kamen TOMOV writes:
> I run Emacs on Windows and connect to a Linux CMU-CL.
>
> When I execute M-. (edit definition) in a lisp buffer SLIME looks for
> a non-existing file on the local (windows) machine that actually
> resides on the remote (Linux) machine.
>
> Is there a known solution to this problem, e.g. can SLIME fetch the
> remote file or my hopes for a mixed development environment are
> doomed?

One easy solution (it would work with any kind of program) is to use
NFS to mount the source directory locally.

If slime doesn't do it, it should be possible to patch it easily
enough to use tramp to load some files.

Perhaps you could just set the default directory to some tramp directory?
(slime-set-default-directory "/ssh:user at remote.host:/some/remote/dir/")

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO PURCHASERS: The entire physical universe,
including this product, may one day collapse back into an
infinitesimally small space. Should another universe subsequently
re-emerge, the existence of this product in that universe cannot be
guaranteed.