[slime-devel] Slime support for metaclasses...

Pascal Costanza pc at p-cos.net
Tue Jan 31 10:27:32 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have seen a discussion on slot-boundp / slot-makunbound and their
MOP counterparts. I have tried to respond, but wasn't subscribed to
this mailing list yet. This time I should get through...

Most CLOS MOP implementations indeed specialize the third arguments
in the slot-xxx-using-class generic functions on slot definition
metaobjects. There are two exceptions (one is well known, the other
probably not so much):

- LispWorks specializes on slot names. This is probably because the
switch from slot names to slot definition metaobjects in the slot-xxx-
using-class functions was a very late change in the CLOS MOP
specification, and the LispWorks CLOS implementation seems to be
based on some older version of PCL (?!?).

- Allegro specializes slot-value-using-class and (setf slot-value-
using-class) on slot definition metaobjects, BUT specializes slot-
boundp-using-class and slot-makunbound-using-class on slot names!!!
This is not documented anywhere, so it's probably a source of
confusion. (I have only accidentally found out about this. I have
already filed a bug report with Franz.)

I don't know exactly the context of your discussion, but you could
use the Closer to MOP compatibility layer which fixes the slot-xxx-
using-class functions for LispWorks and Allegro so that all slot-xxx-
using-class functions are specialized on slot definition metaobjects.
However, this may have other drawbacks that I cannot judge from here...

Cheers,
Pascal

--
Pascal Costanza, mailto:pc at p-cos.net, http://p-cos.net
Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Programming Technology Lab