[slime-devel] Slime support for metaclasses

Ian Eslick eslick at csail.mit.edu
Mon Jan 30 22:39:44 UTC 2006

Some Lisp implementations do not call the generic function
slot-boundp-using-class as part of executing the normal lisp slot-boundp
for performance reasons.

The specific problem I ran into was inspecting objects in Elephant (a
persistent DB) where the metaobject protocol does not allocate storage
for slots but redirects (via metaclass override of
slot-boundp-using-class and slot-value-using-class) queries to disk
database lookups.  In this case slot-boundp returned nil, but
slot-boundp-using-slot was returning 't'.

An alternative approach (safer?) rather than modifying swank-mop and
forcing always using the generic function, would be to write a
swank-slot-boundp defun that is selectively implemented by specific
backends with this problem.  i.e.

#-allegro
(defun swank-slot-boundp (object slot)
    (slot-boundp object slot))

#+allegro
(defun swank-slot-boundp (object slot)
    (slot-boundp-using-class (class-of object) object (<lookup-slot-def>
slot)))

Ian