[slime-devel] clisp without unicode patch

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Fri Jan 20 21:39:41 UTC 2006

* Hoehle, Joerg-Cyril [2006-01-20 18:58+0100] writes:

> Helmut Eller wrote:
>
>>The user has to choose an encoding that actually works
> I had hoped for auto-detection, or at least reasonable defaults and
> consistent settings.  E.g. I found a message in the *inferior-lisp*
> buffer ("event-history end") saying that iso-8859-1 was used.

iso-8859-1 is the encoding for the connection between Emacs and Lisp.

> However, the buffer's mode line says "u". Same for the slime-repl
> and *slime-events* buffers.  Same for many other buffers in Emacs
> (e.g. Dired), while Lisp source buffers mostly say "--", i.e. ASCII.

The modeline indicates the buffer-file-coding-system.

> .slime-history.eld says -*- utf-8-unix (but so far there's only
> ASCII therein).
>
> This is Emacs-21.4 on a Ubuntu Breezy i386 with the default
> clisp-2.35 (not self compiled) -- with #+UNICODE.
>
> How comes?  Is that 1/3 a bug-report?

I don't understand the problem.

iso-8859-1 is the default for the connection (because most Lisps
support that) and utf-8-unix for the history file (because that's the
most general encoding).  The buffer-file-coding-system depends
(usually) on your setting for the language environment. See `M-x
set-language-environment'.

What's unreasonable about those defaults?

>>because the packet length field isn't interpreted correctly and the
>>payload of the packet will be truncated
> I wasn't aware slime is sending packets. I thought it's all Lisp
> data, readable with READ :)

Well, the length field isn't READable; the payload is.

> I think it's then ok to modify the patch to assert :iso-8859-1 on a
> non unicode clisp.  And let the user figure out how to set this???

To set what?  slime-net-coding-system?  The default is already
:iso-8859-1.

If a user is so enamored of Unicode, he should have enough clue about
those coding issues and be able to read up about
slime-net-coding-system in the manual.