[slime-devel] Debugging without stepping

Paolo Amoroso amoroso at mclink.it
Fri Jan 13 16:17:47 UTC 2006

Jonathon McKitrick <jcm at FreeBSD-uk.eu.org> writes:

> On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 04:18:37PM +0100, Paolo Amoroso wrote:
[...]
> : My own debugging approach is heavily based on SLIME's ability to
> : display function call backtraces and examining/inspecting stack
> : frames.  I personally rarely use single-stepping and breakpoints.
>
> But doesn't that require an exception or an error to break into the debugger?

Well, my bugs already provide enough opportunities for entering the
debugger without explicit breakpoints or calls to BREAK...

> If you are trying to track down a logic error, what approach can you use?

As Andreas has already pointed out, strategically placed PRINT or
FORMAT expressions are handy and effective tools.

Paolo
--
Lisp Propulsion Laboratory log - http://www.paoloamoroso.it/log