[slime-devel] [patch] Make it possible to keep FASL files in source directory

Maciek Pasternacki maciekp at japhy.fnord.org
Tue Jan 10 00:07:00 UTC 2006

Hello.

I use SLIME with SBCL; I have two instances of SBCL in my system
(sometimes more); one is system-wide installation, second is
project-local, both are of the same version, but with possibly
different features.  Both use SLIME (project-local version loads swank
by hand).  Problem is that system-wide SBCL is threaded, and
project-local one is not; thus, .fasl files generated by one are
unreadable to other.  I don't want project-local SBCL and SLIME to
mess with my system-wide settings and I'd prefer to have it leave any
files outside project dir alone.

I made a small patch against current CVS to swank to make it possible
to keep FASL files in source directory; now it is turned on by pushing
:SWANK-FASL-IN-PLACE to *FEATURES*; I couldn't think of better way of
signalling swank-loader.lisp that we want to have FASL with sources
before loading it (i.e. before (DEFPACKAGE)s and (DEFVAR)s).  If this
way is ok, please apply this patch; I don't insist on this particular
way of communicationg with loader (it seems kludgy), if there is
better one, please treat this post as yet another feature request.