[slime-devel] slime + allegrocl and multiple lisps

Helmut Eller heller at common-lisp.net
Tue Jan 3 08:19:25 UTC 2006

* Surendra Singhi [2006-01-02 22:58+0100] writes:

> Hi,
>  Happy New Year.
> I have two questions about slime.
> First, I am trying to connect allegrocl and slime. My environment is Windows
> XP and XEmacs 21.5.23.
>
> My init file contains the following code:
>
> (global-set-key
>  [(f7)]
>  '(lambda ()
>     (interactive)
>     (shell-command "alisp.exe +B +cm -L ~/.slime.lisp&")
>     (while (not (ignore-errors (progn (slime-connect "localhost" 4005) t)))
>       (sit-for 0.2))
>     (delete-other-windows)
>     (slime-connect "localhost" 4005)))

[The call to slime-connect in the last line is probably not needed.]

> Initially I was just using the Bill Clementson's code, but I was getting
> "program actively refused connection error" so I tried adding
> (while (not .....)) mentioned at
>
> http://common-lisp.net/pipermail/slime-devel/2005-February/003088.html
>
> But now I get an error message
> "(error "Keyword argument 2932 not one of (:pid :style
> :lisp-implementation :machine :features :package)")"
>
> What am I doing wrong or missing, and how can I use allegro and
> slime?

You probably have mismatching versions of the SWANK server and the
Emacs-Lisp code (the server is older).  Synchronize them and delete
the old fasl files in <home-dir>/.slime/fasl.

> The second question is about using multiple lisp connections simultaneously.
>
> Based on Helmut's code I added the following to my init file.
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.slime.devel/4268
>
> (setq slime-lisp-implementations
>       '((clisp ("clisp.exe -I -m 256mb"))
>         (acl7 ("alisp  +B +cm"))))

That should be '((clisp ("clisp.exe" "-I" "-m" "256mb"))) i.e. every
argument should be a separate string.

> (load-library "inf-lisp")
> (setq inferior-lisp-program "clisp.exe -I -m 256mb")
> (add-hook 'inferior-lisp-mode-hook
> 	  (lambda () (inferior-slime-mode t)))
>
> The problem is that when I do M-x slime, it gives me a "Process Error:
> Searching for Program". But earlier when I didn't have any values assigned to
> slime-lisp-implementation, things used to work fine.
>
> Also, C-u M-x slime, shows me `Run lisp:clisp.exe -I -m 256mb' and then when I
> press enter clisp starts properly.

If slime-lisp-implementations isn't set, we split the arguments on
whitespace.  But that doesn't work so well when inferior-lisp-program
contains a filename with spaces (as it is common on Windows). That's
why every argument is an extra string in slime-lisp-implementations.