[slime-devel] Re: SLIME+Allegro on Windows

Steven E. Harris seh at panix.com
Thu Feb 23 23:32:25 UTC 2006

Edi Weitz <edi at agharta.de> writes:

> I have this in my ~/.emacs file (basically copying from and old
> suggestion by Luke Gorrie) and it seems to work fine:

These are some refinements I was using with Allegro CL 7 and XEmacs on
Cygwin, but note that the allegro-ansi.exe program is not present in
the Trial Edition. The function slime-connect signals a file-error,
but there were other errors that were not to be ignored in such a
loop.

(defun start-allegro ()
  (interactive)
  (shell-command "/mnt/c/Program\\ Files/Allegro\\ Common\\ Lisp\\ 7/allegro-ansi.exe +B +cm -L \"U:/start-slime.lisp\" &" nil)
  (delete-other-windows)
  (loop repeat 5
    do (condition-case c
                  (progn (slime-connect "localhost" 4005)
                         (return t))
                (file-error (sit-for 0.2)))
    finally (message "Unable to connect to SLIME server.")))

The referenced file start-slime.lisp contained the following:

,----[ start-slime.lisp ]
| (load "C:/Program Files/cygwin/usr/local/lib/common-lisp/slime-cvs/swank-loader.lisp")
| ;(asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op :swank)
| (swank:create-server :dont-close t)
`----

Note that I had given up trying to get ASDF to work with Allegro,
probably for lack of symlink support.

--
Steven E. Harris