[slime-devel] Re: Emacs freezing bug fix

Luke Gorrie luke at synap.se
Fri Feb 10 12:18:47 UTC 2006

Timofei Shatrov <grue at mail.ru> writes:

> I found a fix for a bug that plagued me for a long time. Whenever I
> was connected to Internet, Slime was consistently hanging Emacs cold.
> The bug apparently stems from make-network-process function of Emacs
> which demonstrates the same behavior. Anyway, there is a fix: replace
> all occurences of "127.0.0.1" in slime.el with "localhost" -
> surprisingly this solves the problem.

Can't win sometimes :-)

2004-06-30  Luke Gorrie  <luke at bluetail.com>

            * slime.el (slime-read-port-and-connect-to-running-swank)
            (slime-connect, slime-open-stream-to-lisp): Replace "localhost"
            with "127.0.0.1". This is believed to avoid unwanted DNS lookups
            on certain operating systems. The lookups can become crippling if
            the DNS server isn't available.

Which operating system are you using? Does e.g. 'telnet 127.0.0.1'
also have the same problem?