[slime-devel] problem compiling files defining packages

Lynn Winebarger owinebar at indiana.edu
Tue Dec 12 22:08:54 UTC 2006

Hi,
    First, I want to thank the developers for this Lisp IDE.  It's very
cool.  But....
    I was trying to compile a file with C-c M-k, and the file started out

(defpackage "my-package" (:intern <stuff>) (:use "COMMON-LISP"))
(in-package "my-package")

Now, this is my first attempt at compiling a CL file (under SBCL
0.9.18), with or with a package involved.  And it kept spitting out
errors for the stuff after these two lines, and I could not for the life
of me see why.  Clearly it had something to do with the package
declaration, because when I commented the above two lines out, I was
able to compile the rest of the file.
    So I drop into a command line SBCL session, and the file compiled
just fine.

    Anyway, I just wanted to let you know, this was very confusing for a
CL newbie (been a Schemer for years, just not CL).  It doesn't appear to
be in the documentation anywhere.  I did find some emails that looked
vaguely related from the archives of this list using the gmane
interface, but it wasn't something I could easily understand.

    I'm wondering, as CL developers, how do you get around this issue?
It seems like it would be a problem.

Thanks,
Lynn