[slime-devel] Console raw during a SLIME session

Sean Charles sean.charles at objitsu.com
Fri Dec 8 16:44:12 UTC 2006

Hi,

Can anybody help me out here, I am stuck as I don't know what SLIME does
with the I/O once it is running.

I am writing a data-entry application, console based, and it must be
able to perform read-char without having to press return. To effect this
I have had to resort to the following development methodology :-

(a) open a new xterm or Terminal.app (OS X 10.4.8) window
(b) $ stty cbreak
(c) $ sbcl
(d) load my code
(e) start my application

It works just fine, my functions getting a date etc all respond to the
correct number of keystrokes but the problem is that it doesn't seem to
work from SLIME  mode ie the "stty cbreak" doesn't seem to be in force
if I execute it from within Emacs.

So, does anybody know what I have to do to make it such that a single
key press is all I need to get read-char to come back with the keypress
inside SLIME+EMACS... it's a bit of a pain having to test it from the
shell every time I do something major to the application.   is there an
even Lispier way of doing this, am I missing something, unaware of
something... I have only been using Lisp for about four months now and
the size of that HyperSpec still makes my brain hurt  ;-)

Many thanks,

Sean Charles