[slime-devel] memory leak caused by clickable value history in the SLIME REPL

Hoehle, Joerg-Cyril Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
Fri Dec 8 12:26:24 UTC 2006

Hi,

I recently had a significant memory leak, where Lisp + slime behaved
badly
while Lisp + terminal (or Emacs inferior-lisp mode) behaved
unsurprisingly.
I traced it to what I call the "clickable value history" in SLIME.
E.g. old values in your *SLIME repl* buffer are still available and kept
in the
Lisp image. You can reach them via right mouse button (RMB) -> copy to
input.

It is as if SLIME had infinite(?) * ** *** **** ***** ****** ...
variables that remember ancient values (or rather / // /// //// /////
...)
Outside of SLIME, the old data would have been reclaimed by GC long time
ago.

In my particular case, huge data structures would have been ready to
free
if SLIME had not kept that link.  How can I clear this value cache, or
control the cache policy?

Thanks for your help,
	Jorg Hohle